Ok, I understand
Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.

Romsey Bowling Club

Constitution & Rules

1. TITLE

The Club shall be called ROMSEY BOWLING CLUB (hereinafter referred to as ‘the Club’)

2. OBJECT

The Object of ‘the Club’ shall be to foster the game of bowls in Romsey in accordance with the Laws of the Sport of Bowls as set down by Bowls England.

3. OFFICERS

The Officers of ‘the Club’ shall consist of :

(i) the President,
(ii) the Vice President,
(iii) the Honorary Secretary,
(iv) the Honorary Treasurer.

4. MANAGEMENT

(i) ‘The Club’ shall be governed by the General Management Committee (hereinafter referred to as the ‘Committee’.
(ii) The ‘Committee’ shall comprise :
    (a) the President,
    (b) the Vice President,
    (c) the Immediate Past President,
    (d) the Honorary Secretary,
    (e) the Honorary Treasurer,
    (h) six other members of ‘the Club’, three of whom should be ladies and three of whom should be men,
(iii) The ‘Committee’ shall appoint such sub-committees as may be considered necessary for the good management of ‘the Club’.
(iv) The ’Committee’ and any sub-committee shall have power to co-opt other members as may be considered necessary for the good management of ‘the Club’.
(v) In the event of the votes cast for and against any resolution put before any meeting of the ‘Committee‘ or sub-committee being equal the person taking the chair shall have a casting vote.

5. DUTIES OF THE ‘COMMITTEE’

(i) The ‘Committee’ shall be responsible for
    (a) the general management of ‘the Club’ as directed by members of ‘the Club’ in General Meeting,
    (b) supervising the actions of the Honorary Secretary and the Honorary Treasurer,
    (c) transacting the ordinary business of ‘the Club’
    (d) regulating the opening and closing of the Green in consultation with Test Valley Borough Council,
    (e) making bye-laws not inconsistent with the rules of ‘the Club’ and the bye-laws of Test Valley Borough Council,
    (f) making all contracts necessary for the good running of ‘the Club’, filling vacancies caused by the death, resignation,      retirement or prolonged absence of any Officer or other member of the ‘Committee’,
(ii) Meetings of the ‘Committee’ shall be called at the discretion of the President, the Vice President and / or the Honorary Secretary. No fewer than four committee members shall be required to form a quorum.
(iii) The President, and the Honorary Secretary shall be obliged to call a meeting of the ‘Committee’ within seven working days of receiving a request in writing.

6. ELECTION OF OFFICERS AND COMMITTEE MEMBERS

(i) Nominees for the Officer position of President and Vice President should have a minimum of five years service as a Full Member of ‘the Club’ and have shown an interest /involvement in the working of ‘the Club’.
(ii) Nominees for the position of committee member should have a minimum of two years service as a Full Member of “the Club” and have shown an interest / involvement in the working of “the Club”
(iii) The Officers and members of the ‘Committee’ shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting at which candidates must be present or must have declared, in writing, their willingness to serve.
(iv) A candidate’s written declaration of willingness to serve must be in the hands of the President or elected chairperson of the meeting before voting takes place.
(v) If more than the required number of nominations are received, a ballot shall be taken and the candidate receiving the largest number of votes shall be duly elected.
(vi) Each Officer and/or committee member shall serve for one year only after which they shall be eligible for re-election

7. MEMBERSHIP

(i) Membership of ‘the Club’ shall start on the first January and end on the thirty-first December.
(ii) Membership of ‘the Club’ shall be open to all members of the public regardless of sex, religious persuasion or ethnic origin, subject to the approval of the ‘Committee’.
(iii) There shall be four classes of membership available as follows :
    (a) Full Members.
    (b) Associate Members (Previously Full Members).
    (c) Junior Members (must be under 18 years of age on 1st January in the current subscription year).
    (d) Social Members (Open to non bowlers who have family Full Members of “the Club”)
(iv) Completed application forms must be signed by the applicant, proposer and seconder.
(v) Applications for membership must be proposed and seconded by Full Members of ‘the Club’.
(vi) Applicants shall be interviewed by nominees of the ‘ Committee’ who shall recommend accordingly for the Committee’s’ consideration.
(vii) The ‘Committee’ shall have power to accept or reject applications for membership of ‘the Club’ but in the event of an application being rejected it shall not be obliged to give reasons for such rejection.
(viii) A successful applicant shall be a member of ‘the Club’ from the date on which the appropriate joining fee and subscription are received by the Honorary Treasurer until the thirty-first day of December of that year. Junior members are not subject to a joining fee and will pay a reduced subscription.
(ix) Existing members shall be members of ‘the Club’ on payment of the appropriate subscription until the thirty-first day of December.
(x) A member shall become a Life Member by election at an Annual General Meeting or a Special General Meeting convened for that purpose only following a recommendation by the ‘Committee’.

8. ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

Members of ‘the Club’ shall meet annually for the purposes of :

(i) (a) receiving the President’s report,
    (b) receiving the Honorary Secretary’s report,
    (c) receiving the Honorary Treasurer’s report,
    (d) receiving and passing the independently examined Accounts of ‘the Club’,
    (e) receiving such other reports as may be appropriate.
    (f) considering any other motions notified as hereinafter required.
(ii) The Annual General Meeting, at which only Full Members of ‘the Club’ shall be entitled to vote, shall be held either in the month of November or the month of December following the end of the financial year.
(iii) The Honorary Secretary shall give at least twenty one days notice of the Meeting and its Agenda to all Members. All notices shall be served by hand, post or electronic mail to members at their home address and shall, if sent by post or electronic mail be deemed to have been received in due course of the post or electronic mail. It is the individual responsibility of all members to communicate to the Honorary Secretary changes of address.
(iv) Notice of motions for discussion at the Annual General Meeting must be submitted to the Honorary Secretary not later than one calendar month prior to the date of the Annual General Meeting.
(v) An Annual General Meeting shall require a minimum of one third of the Full Membership of ‘the Club‘ to attend
(vi) Any Full Member being unable to attend the Annual General Meeting shall be entitled to submit their vote in writing, such vote to be in the possession of the chairperson prior to commencement of the meeting.

9. SPECIAL GENERAL MEETING

(i) The Honorary Secretary shall call a Special General Meeting if required to do so by a majority of the ‘Committee’ or within ten days after receipt of a request to do so signed by not less than one third of the Full Membership of ‘the Club’.
(ii) At least twenty-one days notice of a Special General Meeting, stating the business for which the meeting is called shall be given to all Full Members by circulating a copy of the Notice to every Full Member at their home address and posting the Notice on the club notice board.
(iii) A Special General Meeting shall require a minimum of one third of the Full Membership of ‘the Club’ to attend or vote in accordance with Rule 9(iv) below.
(iv) Any Full Member being unable to attend a Special General Meeting referred to in Rule 9(i) shall be entitled to submit their vote in writing, such vote to be in the possession of the chairperson prior to commencement of the Meeting.

10. SUBSCRIPTIONS

(i) Subscriptions, Joining Fees and Green Fees for the following season shall be agreed at the Annual General Meeting or at a Special General Meeting called for that purpose.
(ii) Annual subscriptions shall be paid by the thirty-first December prior to the season to which such subscription shall apply and any member failing to pay their subscription by that date shall, at the discretion of the ‘Committee’, be liable to forfeit their membership.
(iii) Joining fees and Subscriptions must be paid immediately an applicant has been notified of acceptance as a member of ‘the Club’.
​(iv) Visitors’ Green Fees must be paid before commencing play.
(v) All fees shall be a percentage of the Full subscription rounded up to the next higher one pound :-
    a) Associate Members :- 15%
    b) Junior Members :- 50%
    c) Social Members :- 15%
    d) Visitors/Public Bowling Green Fees :- 10%

11. RESIGNATIONS

(i) Any member wishing to withdraw from ‘the Club’ must submit a resignation in writing to the Honorary Secretary.
​(ii) Any member wishing to withdraw from ‘the Club’ shall not be entitled to any refund of Subscription.

12. DISCIPLINE

The “Club” has adopted Bowls England Regulation 9 and this will be the basis for handling all disciplinary matters.

13. HONORARY SECRETARY

The Honorary Secretary shall :

(i) keep a record of all the business transacted at General Meetings and at meetings of the ‘Committee’.
(ii) carry out all other secretarial work in accordance with the directions and decisions of the members of ‘the Club’ in General Meeting and/or the directions and the decisions of the ‘Committee’.
(iii) submit to the Annual General Meeting a report of the activities of ‘the Club’ during the year.

14. HONORARY TREASURER

The Honorary Treasurer shall :

(i) be responsible for all the finances of ‘the Club’.
(ii) maintain proper financial records.
(iii) collect all subscriptions, fees and other monies due to ‘the Club’.
(iv) deposit all monies received on behalf of ‘the Club’ in bank or building society accounts in the name of Romsey Bowling Club.
(v) submit to the Annual General Meeting independently examined statements of Accounts for the Financial Year.
(vi) act in accordance with the directions of the members of ‘the Club’ in General Meeting or the ‘Committee’.

15. HONORARY MATCH SECRETARIES

The Honorary Match Secretaries shall be responsible for arranging all League and Friendly Matches.

16. HONORARY INDEPENDENT EXAMINERS

(i) The Statement of Accounts submitted to the Annual General Meeting by the Honorary Treasurer shall be independently examined by two persons.
(ii) The Honorary Independent Examiners shall be appointed by the members of ‘the Club’ in General Meeting.
(iii) Independent Examiners may be members of ‘the Club’ but at least one may not be a member of the General Management Committee.

17. FINANCIAL YEAR

The Financial Year of ‘the Club’ shall start on the first day of October and end on the thirtieth day of September.

18. PAYMENTS

Payments by ‘the Club’ whether cheque or electronic/online require two authorisations one of which must be that of the Honorary Treasurer or Honorary Secretary. The second authorisation may be of such other member of the ‘Committee’ as may be nominated by the ‘Committee’.

19.TRUSTEES

(i) In order to conform to the terms of the lease between the Romsey Bowling Club and the Test Valley Borough Council, from 2013 to ending on and including twenty fourth February 2039, ‘the Club’ shall appoint three trustees ( hereinafter referred to as ‘the Trustees’). ‘The Trustees’ shall be :
(ii) Full Members of ‘the Club’,
(iii) legally responsible for ensuring that ‘the Club’ conforms to the terms and conditions of the lease referred to in Rule 19(i) hereof,
(iv) shall be appointed by the ‘Committee’ acting on behalf of the members of ‘the Club’ and may be changed at any time by a decision of the ‘Committee’, approved by the Test Valley Borough Council.
(v) approved by Test Valley Borough Council. 

20. GREEN CLOSURE

If, in the opinion of the ‘Committee’, the Green is unplayable or would otherwise be damaged, the ‘Committee’, through their appointed sub-committee or in the event of no member of the appointed sub-committee being available, the senior member of ‘the Club’ present, shall have power to :
(i) stop play or,
(ii) restrict play to specific areas of the Green,
(iii) instruct that members present take such action as may be appropriate to avoid damage to the Green.

21. ALTERATIONS TO THE CONSTITUTION AND RULES

(i) Any alteration to the Constitution and Rules of ‘the Club’, or any part thereof, shall require that the alteration be accepted by two-thirds of the Full Membership of ‘the Club’ in attendance and voting at the Annual General Meeting or any Special General Meeting convened for that purpose. Absentee votes as referred to in Rule 21(iii) hereof shall be included in this requirement.
(ii) Any alteration or amendment to the Constitution or Rules of ‘the Club’ must be proposed and seconded by Full Members of ‘the Club’.
(iii) Any Full Member being unable to attend the Annual General Meeting or Special General Meeting referred to in Rule 21(i) shall be entitled to submit their vote in writing, such vote to be in the possession of the chairperson prior to the commencement of the meeting.

22. DISSOLUTION

(i) If at any General Meeting of ‘the Club’ a resolution be passed calling for the dissolution of ‘the Club’, the Honorary Secretary shall immediately convene a Special General Meeting of ‘the Club ’to be held not less than one month thereafter to discuss and vote on the resolution.
(ii) If at that Special General Meeting the resolution is carried by at least two-thirds of the Full Membership of ‘the Club’ the ‘Committee’ shall thereupon, at such dates as shall have been specified in the resolution, proceed to realise the assets of ‘the Club’ and discharge all debts and liabilities of ‘the Club’.
(iii) After discharging all debts and liabilities of ‘the Club’, the remaining assets shall not be paid or distributed amongst the Full Members of ‘the Club’, but shall be given or transferred to some other voluntary organisation having objects similar to those of ‘the Club’.

23. INDEMNITY CLAUSE

Each member of ‘the Club’ shall (to the extent that such person is not entitled to recover under any policy of insurance) be entitled to be indemnified out of any and all funds available to ‘the Club’, which may lawfully be so applied, against all costs, expenses and liabilities whatsoever incurred by such person in the proper execution and discharge of duties undertaken on behalf of ‘the Club’ or arising therefrom, or incurred in good faith in the purported discharge of such duties.

24. CHILD AND VULNERABLE ADULT PROTECTION POLICY

The Romsey Bowling Club is committed to promoting a safe environment in which children and vulnerable adults can enjoy taking part in games of bowls. It will seek to underpin and ensure this commitment by following and promoting the joint Child Protection Policy and Procedures of the National Governing Bodies.

ISSUE 10 – Revised December 2018